The Australian Garden History Society promotes awareness and conservation of significant gardens and cultural landscapes through engagement, research, advocacy and activities.
Formed in 1980, the AGHS brings together people from diverse backgrounds united by an appreciation of and concern for our parks, gardens and cultural landscapes as part of Australia's heritage. The Society promotes knowledge of historic gardens, significant landscapes and research into their history. It aims to examine gardens and gardening in their widest social, historic, literary, artistic and scientific context.
The Australian Garden History Society acknowledges Traditional Owners of Country throughout Australia. We pay respect to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures and to Elders past, present and emerging.
The Australian Garden History Society is a not-for-profit membership based organisation with approximately 1800 members throughout Australia, New Zealand, Asia, Europe and USA. Membership is open to everyone.
- Publishes a Journal, Australian Garden History, four times per year, which each member receives as part of their membership
- Publishes books, booklets and conference proceedings on relevant topics
- Holds an annual Conference
- Provides funding for Garden Recordings and Garden Restoration as well as having a special fund - the Kindred Spirits Fund - to foster the education, scientific, scholarly, literary and artistic aspects of the Society's interests
- Has active Branches in all states and the ACT, which arrange local activities and act as advocates for issues which are of interest to the Society.
Patron: Professor Timothy J Entwisle
National Executive Officer: Lisa Tuck
National Management Committee
The AGHS is governed by the National Management Committee, made up of the Office Bearers, Elected members and State Representatives. The National Head Office is located in Melbourne.
|South Australia:||Dr Julia de Roeper|
|Western Australia:||Patsy Vizents|
Australian Garden History Journal
Australian Garden History is a journal distributed to members of the Society four times a year. It contains articles on Australian gardens, notable gardeners and landscape designers, book reviews, reports of garden visits and tours, and an Australia-wide calendar of forthcoming activities. Each issue has several articles related to a theme, although this is in no way prescriptive.
An independent Editorial Advisory Committee, with a wide range of experience in advocacy, scholarship, publishing, and media, advise the National Management Committee and the editor on the journal. Copies of some individual issues of the Journal may be purchased separately by contacting the National Office.
Editorial Advisory Committee
Convenor: Roslyn Burge email@example.com
Australian Garden History Editor: Dr Bernadette Hince
To contact email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contributions to Australian Garden History are welcome from interested people.
They may take the form of
- feature articles on aspects of Australia's garden heritage
- photographs of horticultural and historical interest
- an opinion or viewpoint on issues of garden heritage
- reviews of books and web-sites pertaining to garden history
- advice of gardens under threat of subdivision
- letters to the editor
- notice of events likely to interest AGHS members
Australian Garden History offers some space for advertising at the discretion of the editor and executive officer. Current rates for display advertisements and for inserting leaflets and brochures can be found in the inside cover of the latest journal or by contacting the office email@example.com
Associate YOUR name with the Australian Garden History Society see Sponsorship Guidelines.